Hey y’all! Welcome to Juleslandia, my web-based therapeutic snark outlet. I’m a single girl in LA, and a corporate PR refugee turned happy freelance writer/consultant.
Couple things about me and what I’ll likely be posting about:
- Like I said above, I’m single. But I’ll also be hitting 50 this year. Technically, I guess that would qualify me for spinsterhood during any other era in history. But, thankfully, in today’s modern world I’m just picky and very independent. The suffragettes would be proud (I hope).
- I live at the beach in the South Bay of Los Angeles, and have to admit it’s a pretty great life. I’ll try not to post too many perfect sunset pics.
- I read a lot. Before you get all intimidated by my bookishness you should first be aware of my addiction to historical romance novels (if there’s a 17th-century Scottish warrior wearing a kilt on the cover, I’m so in).
- I’m an adoptee who found my entire birth family. It’s one of those movie-of-the-week reunion stories full of the good, bad and ugly (but mostly good).
- I love to travel and have been to some cool places. I’m thinking my next big trip will be Eastern Europe … or Kentucky (because Bourbon Trail). So many choices, so little time.
- In 2014, I started my own communications consulting business, and plan to share thrilling adventures of the freelance lifestyle (which is basically working at my dining room table in my PJs and answering the door for Amazon Prime deliveries). It is utterly fantastic!
My current obsessions:
- Bourbon is my favorite flavor. Usually, I drink it neat if it’s good bourbon. Manhattan is my cocktail of choice, followed closely by the Old Fashioned and Kentucky Mule. I like posting pics of cocktails (be warned).
- Cheeseburgers. I love cheeseburgers and am always on the hunt to find the best of the best. So please share recommendations, and I’ll do the same.
- Cats and cute cat videos. Enough said.
- Okay I admit, I have a TV problem: Walking Dead (I didn’t get on the bandwagon until 2014, so I still have plenty of obsessive love. I heart Daryl), Homeland, Outlander (sigh), House of Cards, etc. Binge-watching is my jam.
- Dreaming about building my future mountain dream home in Angel Fire, NM (check out my Pinterest board and dream with me).
- Learning mma-style self-defense with coach John Marsh, UFC veteran. Turns out I really like to hit things. My elbows are a deadly weapon. Who knew?
- Golf. I started taking lessons several years ago. It’s the perfect game for an introvert — played in small groups with limited socializing required 🙂
- Creating a more efficient life — organization and life hacks fascinate me and I’m always looking for new ideas.
So thanks for reading! Be sure to sign up for email alerts if you want to keep up with life in Juleslandia (see sidebar). I hope I can provide some entertainment; or, at the very least, be a cautionary tale.